Preparing and Painting Existing Wallboard
- Non-film building cleaner (TSP no-rinse substitute)
- Rubber gloves
- Putty knife
- Sand paper or pads
- Microfiber tack cloth or a clean dry sponge
- Spray texture
- Drop cloth(s)
- #00 Synthetic steel wool (for degreasing walls)
- Clean all surfaces with a non-film building cleaner. Degloss glossy surfaces by lightly sanding or etching, and degrease any greasy walls in the kitchen.
- Repair any nail holes with spackle
- Scuff sand patched areas using 150 grit sandpaper or sanding pad.
- Wipe off wall with a microfiber tack cloth or a clean dry sponge.
- Re-texture any areas repaired.
- Spot prime any areas that were spackled or textured.
Note: If a dark color exists and the desired color is a lighter color, a primer or multiple coats of desired color may be necessary.
If painting a dark color over a light color, a “gray scale” primer may be recommended to aid in coverage. A Sales Associate can assist you in creating the right gray coat for your project.
- Drop cloth(s)
- Masking tape
- Paint brush
- Roller frame
- Roller cover (Nap size dependant on wall texture and finish of paint - see below)
- Paint tray
- Paint tray liner
- Extension handle for roller frame
- Ladder (for high areas of room)
- Cut-in bucket
Once the surface preparation is complete, and you have your desired paint in the color and finish, you should:
- Mask windows, door, floor and ceiling molding.
- Cut-in with a paint brush or pad (2-3 feet at a time, maintaining a “wet edge” at all times).
- Roll on your paint using the “W” technique to achieve optimum coverage and uniformity as shown below.
Roller Cover Recommendations:
Flat, Eggshell and Satin
- For Light Orange Peel texture: 3/8”-1/2” nap.
- For Medium Orange Peel texture: 1/2”-3/4” nap.
- For Heavy Orange Peel texture: 3/4”-1” nap.
Semigloss or Enamels
- Follow above recommendations based on wall texture in either a Drylon, Lambswool or Mohair roller cover or see a Sales Associate for assistance.
Sheen Selection Guide
Living Room and Common Areas:
- Flat finish
- Matte finish
- Eggshell finish
- Satin finish
- Matte finish
- Eggshell finish
- Satin Finish
Kitchen and Bathrooms:
- Satin finish
- Semigloss finish
Features of Miller Paint Sheens:
Flat – Offers a deep, rich look that helps minimize the visibility of surface imperfections by minimizing light refraction.
Matte – The deep, rich look of a flat with greater durability, washability and burnish resistance with repeated washings.
Eggshell – Ideal for projects where a deep rich look is desired yet only a minimal amount of sheen is needed.
Satin – Perfect for any room with an average amount of use where some sheen and washability is desired. Satin offers good durability, scrubability and resists dirt pick up.
Semigloss – This high-sheen product is very durable, washable and is perfect for areas that are more susceptible to dirt, grease and moisture. Semigloss is ideal for high-traffic areas or the most used rooms in the home such as the kitchen or bathroom.
Interior Paint Selection
Evolution’s creamy consistency has been formulated to provide a thicker coat than typical wall paints and can often provide one-coat coverage, helping you to achieve your masterpiece with less effort. Use it in your home, office, or anywhere you want the rich color of the ColorEvolution collection to come through. Feel the luxurious craftsmanship in the rich, thick textures as you spread the art of paint on the canvas of your walls.
Using an advanced Ultra-Low VOC resin formulated specifically for Miller Paint, Acro Pure creates a lasting finish that will stand up to the rigors of daily life. Acro Pure can be used anywhere a standard wall paint can be used and is a great choice in homes, commercial and industrial spaces, and healthcare environments.
Our classic, high quality acrylic paint has been tested and is trusted by the people of the Northwest. It has become the paint of choice for everyday projects by homeowners and professionals alike. Premium is specially formulated to provide rich, lasting color and performs well in today’s popular deep-toned colors. Available in four sheens, it is perfect for any wall surface in your home or office.
Our top quality, multipurpose acrylic enamel ideal for exterior/interior projects. Acrinamel provides an exceptionally durable finish for exterior and interior surfaces that require a moisture resistant, washable coating. Ideal for exterior metal and fine wood, as well as interior wood, masonry, and metal surfaces. Its durable, moisture-resistant film provides the performance of an enamel finish with the benefits of a water clean up and low odor. Available in Satin and Semigloss sheens.
Designed for the professional and the homeowner alike, the Performance Plus line of products provides a consistent, reliable quality finish. The modified PVA resin has been proven to provide good coverage and value. Performance Plus interior finish is an good product for use on new wallboard, smooth or textured, in living rooms, bedrooms, hallways and ceilings.
Interior Primer Selection
Premium PVA - 220-0-11 - For Walls and Ceilings
Our high solids PVA Wall Sealer is a premium interior latex primer that is an excellent basecoat for interior wallboard. It has increased body and covers better than traditional professional grade PVA primers.
Acro Pure Primer - 210-0-11 - For Walls and Ceilings
An ideal primer for an ultra-low VOC project from the start. Acro Primer has been formulated to provide the same level of mold and mildew resistance with the addition of antimicrobial product protection. It is a great choice for interior wallboard or drywall surfaces.
Super Seal - 225-0-11 - For Walls and Ceilings
A great multipurpose acrylic primer sealer that works well under light color that may take multiple coats. Super Seal provides good opacity and seal on a variety of interior surfaces.
Stain Blocking Primer - 470-0-11
Our best primer for hiding stains. It has excellent adhesion to most surfaces and can be used as an all-purpose primer on wood, wallboard, metal, plaster, masonite and ceiling tiles.